Welcome to the Heart of Texas chapter of Contemplative Outreach (HoTCO). We are an ecumenical group of women and men serving together to support those who want to deepen their relationship with God through the practice of Centering Prayer.
Centering Prayer is an ancient method of Christian prayer which prepares us to receive the gift of God’s presence, traditionally called contemplative prayer.
HoTCO is one of more than 90 active chapters in 39 countries formed by Contemplative Outreach, Ltd., a worldwide spiritual network that provides support and resources for Centering Prayer practitioners.
We offer Introduction to Centering Prayer workshops and retreats ranging from one to ten days in length.
We support Centering Prayer groups that meet daily, weekly and monthly in various churches, homes and institutions, as well as contemplative church services throughout the area.
- You are invited:
- Introduction to Centering Prayer Workshop – Sep 30th, 9am – 12pm CDT – offered by the Church of Conscious Harmony. For more details and to register, see this link.
- Centering Prayer 1-Day Retreat – Sep 30th, 9 am – 3 pm CDT – offered by the Church of Conscious Harmony. For more details and to register, see this link.
- Introduction to Centering Prayer – Tue, Oct 3,10,17,24th 7pm – 8:30pm CDT – offered by the University United Methodist Church. For more details and to register, see this link.
- Centering Prayer 1-Day Retreat – Sacred Embodiment– Oct 14th, 9 am – 4 pm CDT – offered online or in-person by the Church of Conscious Harmony. This retreat is a 1-day CP retreat with restorative yoga. The cost is $30; please bring a brown bag lunch if attending in-person. For more details and to register, see this link.
- Introduction to Centering Prayer Workshop – Oct 21st, 9am – 3pm CDT – offered by the Metanoia Journey. The cost is $30; for more details and to register, see this link.
- Welcoming Prayer Online Workshop – Oct 27th, 7pm CDT – Oct 28th 12pm – offered by the Church of Conscious Harmony. The cost is $25; for more details and to register, see this link.
- Centering Prayer 1-Day Retreat – Sound and Silence– Nov 18th, 9 am – 3 pm CST – offered in-person by the Church of Conscious Harmony. For more details and to register, see this link.
- For retreats and introduction to Centering Prayer workshops in the year of 2023, please see retreats and introductory workshops. Retreats and workshops for 2023 will be updated as changes become available.
- The 12-Step Outreach service team will by led by Emily Haeussler. If you are interested, please contact Emily.
- Pray in Community: Our list of local Prayer Groups will be continually updated in 2023. There are also several contemplative church services around town that we’re aware of. Information on these can be found on the Contemplative Worship page and will be updated as we receive new information.
- The Meditation Chapel currently offers many online opportunities each week to join others in Centering Prayer and Lectio Divina. These are a wonderful way to pray with others in community, while remaining at home. When looking at their calendar, note that the Centering Prayer groups meet in the ‘Thomas Keating Chapel.
- Consider supporting our Centering Prayer community by joining one of our Service Teams. We would love to hear from you regarding your interest in serving our chapter by mailing Lynne Roy or Kristi Michener. Your involvement in our Centering Prayer community is vital!
…when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
~ Matthew 6:6
Contemplative Prayer is the opening of mind and heart – our whole being – to God, the Ultimate Mystery, beyond thoughts, words and emotions, whom we know by faith is within us, closer than breathing, thinking, feeling and choosing; even closer than consciousness itself.
~ Fr. Thomas Keating, Open Mind, Open Heart