Welcome to the Heart of Texas chapter of Contemplative Outreach (HoTCO). We are an ecumenical group of women and men serving together to support those who want to deepen their relationship with God through the practice of Centering Prayer.
Centering Prayer is an ancient method of Christian prayer which prepares us to receive the gift of God’s presence, traditionally called contemplative prayer.
HoTCO is one of more than 90 active chapters in 39 countries formed by Contemplative Outreach, Ltd., a worldwide spiritual network that provides support and resources for Centering Prayer practitioners.
We offer Introduction to Centering Prayer workshops and retreats ranging from one to ten days in length.
We support Centering Prayer groups that meet daily, weekly and monthly in various churches, homes and institutions, as well as contemplative church services throughout the area.
- COVID-19 Updates:
- Planning is underway to offer some of our 1/2-day and 1-day retreats in a virtual, online format using Zoom conferencing. See below and check back for additional updates.
- Some Centering Prayer groups are now meeting virtually using Zoom conferencing. For the latest updates, please see Prayer Groups.
- The Meditation Chapel currently offers many online opportunities each week to join others in Centering Prayer and Lectio Divina. These are a wonderful way to pray with others in community, while remaining at home. When looking at their calendar, note that the Centering Prayer groups meet in the ‘Thomas Keating Chapel.’
- You are invited:
- Holy Saturday Half-Day Retreat – April 11, 9:00am to 12:00pm Deepen your preparation and experience of Holy Week by participating in an on-line Paschal Half-Day Holy Saturday Centering Prayer Retreat from the ease of your home-space, alone and together via Zoom. To participate, please pre-register by contacting the The Church of Conscious Harmony at 512-347-9673.
- Centering Prayer 1-Day Retreat- Wed, May 6th, 8:30 am – 4:00 pm, at The Church of Conscious Harmony. Check-in begins at 8:30 am and the program begins at 9 am. The morning includes two 30 min prayer periods and Lectio Divina, several periods of silence and solitude on the beautiful church grounds, and faith sharing. Contemplative lunch will be provided. There is a suggested love offering of $20. There is an option for a 7 am to 7:15 pm retreat; for more information and to pre-register, contact the church at 512-347-9673.
- Centering Prayer Two-Day In-town Commuter Retreat- “Doorway to Devotion: Silence after Sound” with Jim Reale – May 15-16th at The Church of Conscious Harmony. Retreatants sleep at home and return the next day. it will take place on Fri, May 15th, from 8:30 am to 4 pm and on Sat, May 16th, from 9:00 am to 4 pm. Cost is $100; scholarships may be available. Please pre-register by contacting the church at 512-347-9673.
- For retreats in the year of 2020, please see retreats and introductory workshops.
- The 12-Step Outreach service team will by led by Emily Haeussler and will have presenters for 2020. If you are interested, please contact Emily.
- Pamela Begeman is offering Welcoming Prayer workshops to the HoTCO community. The workshops can be 1-day or a series of evening meetings to accommodate your church or community. If you are interested, please contact Pamela.
- The 2020 Calendar of introductory workshops and retreats is set. Explore the events in 2020 and sign up for one!
- Pray in Community: Our list of local Prayer Groups will be continually updated in 2020. There are also several contemplative church services around town that we’re aware of. Information on these can be found on the Other Events page and will be updated as we receive new information.
- Consider supporting our Centering Prayer community by joining one of our Service Teams. We would love to hear from you regarding your interest in serving our chapter by mailing Linda Whiteside. Your involvement in our Centering Prayer community is vital!
…when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
~ Matthew 6:6
Contemplative Prayer is the opening of mind and heart – our whole being – to God, the Ultimate Mystery, beyond thoughts, words and emotions, whom we know by faith is within us, closer than breathing, thinking, feeling and choosing; even closer than consciousness itself.
~ Fr. Thomas Keating, Open Mind, Open Heart