Welcome to the Heart of Texas chapter of Contemplative Outreach (HoTCO). We are an ecumenical group of women and men serving together to support those who want to deepen their relationship with God through the practice of Centering Prayer.
Centering Prayer is an ancient method of Christian prayer which prepares us to receive the gift of God’s presence, traditionally called contemplative prayer.
HoTCO is one of more than 90 active chapters in 39 countries formed by Contemplative Outreach, Ltd., a worldwide spiritual network that provides support and resources for Centering Prayer practitioners.
We offer Introduction to Centering Prayer workshops and retreats ranging from one to ten days in length.
We support Centering Prayer groups that meet daily, weekly and monthly in various churches, homes and institutions, as well as contemplative church services throughout the area.
- COVID-19 Updates:
- Retreats are being offered Online only, In-Person only, and Hybrid (both) – check the details for additional updates.
- Many local Centering Prayer groups are now meeting virtually using Zoom conferencing. For the latest updates, please see Prayer Groups.
- The Meditation Chapel currently offers many online opportunities each week to join others in Centering Prayer and Lectio Divina. These are a wonderful way to pray with others in community, while remaining at home. When looking at their calendar, note that the Centering Prayer groups meet in the ‘Thomas Keating Chapel.’
- You are invited:
- 1-Day Online Centering Prayer Retreat – Sat, Sep 24th, 9:00 am to 3:00 pm CDT – offered by the Church of Conscious Harmony. Join in the silence of Centering Prayer and Lectio Divina. For more info and to register, select this link.
- Forming a Centering Prayer Practice (In-person) – Oct 8th, 9:00 am to 12:00 pm CDT – offered by the Church of Conscious Harmony. It includes 4 follow-up online sessions on Tuesday evenings from 7 – 8 pm CDT. The cost is $25 and includes a copy of the book, “Open Mind, Open Heart” by Fr. Thomas Keating. For more info and to register, select this link.
- 1-Day Online Centering Prayer Retreat – Oct 8th, 9:00 am to 3:00 pm CDT – offered by the Church of Conscious Harmony. Join in the silence of Centering Prayer and Lectio Divina. For more info and to register, select this link.
- 1-Day In-person Centering Prayer Retreat (“Song and Silence) – Sat, Oct 22nd, 9:00 am to 3:00 pm CDT – offered by the Church of Conscious Harmony. This retreat will cultivate interior silence through the combination of chanting, Centering Prayer, and reflective time in nature. The singing of simple chants is a beautiful threshold into Centering Prayer and can deepen the experience of the silence. Chanting will be accompanied by harp. Our wish is to create a vibratory vessel through which Spirit can bless us, our community, and the world. This in-person retreat will be held in the sanctuary. The cost is $15; for more info and to register, select this link.
- 2-Day Online Centering Prayer – Forgiveness Prayer Workshop – Fri, Nov 18th, 6:00 – 8:00 pm CST and Sat, Nov 19th, 9:00 am to 3:00 pm – offered by the Church of Conscious Harmony. This Centering Prayer Retreat/Forgiveness Prayer Workshop will focus on one of the core teachings of the Christ – forgiveness; “Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.” Teresa of Avila said, “a contemplative can have many faults, except the inability to forgive.” Join us as we explore the depth and breadth of forgiveness- led by Mary Dwyer. The cost is $30; for more info and to register, select this link.
- For retreats in the year of 2022, please see retreats and introductory workshops. Retreats and workshops for 2022 will be updated as changes become available.
- The 12-Step Outreach service team will by led by Emily Haeussler. If you are interested, please contact Emily.
- Pamela Begeman is offering Welcoming Prayer workshops to the HoTCO community. The workshops can be 1-day or a series of evening meetings to accommodate your church or community. If you are interested, please contact Pamela.
- The 2022 Calendar of introductory workshops and retreats is tentatively set. Explore the events in 2022 and sign up for one!
- Pray in Community: Our list of local Prayer Groups will be continually updated in 2022. There are also several contemplative church services around town that we’re aware of. Information on these can be found on the Other Events page and will be updated as we receive new information.
- Consider supporting our Centering Prayer community by joining one of our Service Teams. We would love to hear from you regarding your interest in serving our chapter by mailing Lynne Roy or Kristi Michener. Your involvement in our Centering Prayer community is vital!
…when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
~ Matthew 6:6
Contemplative Prayer is the opening of mind and heart – our whole being – to God, the Ultimate Mystery, beyond thoughts, words and emotions, whom we know by faith is within us, closer than breathing, thinking, feeling and choosing; even closer than consciousness itself.
~ Fr. Thomas Keating, Open Mind, Open Heart