Welcome to the Heart of Texas chapter of Contemplative Outreach (HoTCO). We are an ecumenical group of women and men serving together to support those who want to deepen their relationship with God through the practice of Centering Prayer.
Centering Prayer is an ancient method of Christian prayer which prepares us to receive the gift of God’s presence, traditionally called contemplative prayer.
HoTCO is one of more than 90 active chapters in 39 countries formed by Contemplative Outreach, Ltd., a worldwide spiritual network that provides support and resources for Centering Prayer practitioners.
We offer Introduction to Centering Prayer workshops and retreats ranging from one to ten days in length.
We support Centering Prayer groups that meet daily, weekly and monthly in various churches, homes and institutions, as well as contemplative church services throughout the area.
- COVID-19 Updates:
- Most retreats have moved to a virtual, online format using Zoom conferencing. See below and check back for additional updates.
- Some local Centering Prayer groups are now meeting virtually using Zoom conferencing. For the latest updates, please see Prayer Groups.
- The Meditation Chapel currently offers many online opportunities each week to join others in Centering Prayer and Lectio Divina. These are a wonderful way to pray with others in community, while remaining at home. When looking at their calendar, note that the Centering Prayer groups meet in the ‘Thomas Keating Chapel.’
- You are invited:
- Introduction to Centering Prayer Workshop (Online) – Sat, Jan 16th 10:00am-12:00pm. This class also includes 4 follow-up meetings held 4 consecutive Tuesdays 7:00-8:15pm beginning January 19. At the end of the Saturday class, participants are welcome and encouraged to join the the afternoon portion of the online 1-day Centering Prayer retreat happening the same day. The retreat will have lunch break from 12-1pm. The afternoon portion of the retreat will conclude at 3pm. The cost is $15; to register, select this link.
- Centering Prayer One-Day Virtual Retreat- Sat, Jan 16th 9:00 am – 3:00 pm– offered by the Church of Conscious Harmony via Zoom. A donation can be made when registering; please register by contacting The Church of Conscious Harmony at 512-347-9673 or by selecting this registration link.
- Centering Prayer 3-Day Virtual Renewal Retreat – Jan 22nd 7:00am – Jan 24th 7:00 pm. This virtual renewal retreat will be a prayerful, quiet, spacious time in community; it will include Centering Prayer, Lectio Divina, prayerful movement/yoga and celebration of the Eucharist. There will be times for spiritual companioning, if desired, and expansive spaces each day for time on one’s own. The cost is $60; please register by contacting CCH office at 512-347-9673 or by selecting this registration link.
- Welcoming Prayer Virtual Workshop – Fri, Feb 12th 7:00pm to Sat, Feb 13th 12:00 pm CST– offered by the Church of Conscious Harmony via Zoom. The Welcoming Prayer is an incarnational method of consenting to God’s presence and action in our physical and emotional reactions to people and events in daily life. This “consent-on-the-go” embodied practice deepens our relationship with God as we move through the ordinary activities of our day, helping us to stay in the presence of God and the present moment. This workshop will cover the human condition and the basics of the practice. There will be guided practice sessions as well as time in Centering Prayer. The cost is $25; please register by contacting CCH office at 512-347-9673 or by selecting this registration link.
- For retreats in the year of 2021, please see retreats and introductory workshops. Retreats and workshops for 2021 will be updated as changes become available.
- The 12-Step Outreach service team will by led by Emily Haeussler and will have presenters for 2020. If you are interested, please contact Emily.
- Pamela Begeman is offering Welcoming Prayer workshops to the HoTCO community. The workshops can be 1-day or a series of evening meetings to accommodate your church or community. If you are interested, please contact Pamela.
- The 2021 Calendar of introductory workshops and retreats is tentatively set. Explore the events in 2021 and sign up for one!
- Pray in Community: Our list of local Prayer Groups will be continually updated in 2021. There are also several contemplative church services around town that we’re aware of. Information on these can be found on the Other Events page and will be updated as we receive new information.
- Consider supporting our Centering Prayer community by joining one of our Service Teams. We would love to hear from you regarding your interest in serving our chapter by mailing Lynne Roy or Kristi Michener. Your involvement in our Centering Prayer community is vital!
…when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
~ Matthew 6:6
Contemplative Prayer is the opening of mind and heart – our whole being – to God, the Ultimate Mystery, beyond thoughts, words and emotions, whom we know by faith is within us, closer than breathing, thinking, feeling and choosing; even closer than consciousness itself.
~ Fr. Thomas Keating, Open Mind, Open Heart